The information security department should always be aware of where threats come from. They may come from outside the company, but they may also be internal.
When it comes to data breaches, employees themselves may be one of the biggest risks to the organization. These threats may be Accidental, when personnel are just poorly trained; Negligent, when employees try to circumvent implemented policies; or Malicious – the most dangerous – when the employee is motivated by financial gain, espionage or revenge.
One way to mitigate the risks of insider threats and limit the damage caused by such actions is by deploying senhasegura, which fully meets the requirements for limiting user privileges and controlling access to privileged accounts. Thus, to reduce the risk of an insider attack with potential damage, some of the aspects covered by senhasegura include:
- Ensure that only authorized users can access privileged accounts;
- Prevent users from gaining unauthorized privileges;
- Establish strict responsibility over the use of privileged accounts by tracking who accessed which accounts and which activities were performed;
- Improve forensic analysis by generating detailed and tamper-proof audit trails for all privileged account activities;
- Quickly detect and receive alerts of any abnormal activity that could mean an insider attack underway.